Mission Bay Clubhouse Proposed Renovation Program
- In January of 2023, the existing real estate offices in the Mission Bay Clubhouse will be vacated. This offers 1,114 sq. ft. of space to put to the use of our community. The survey sent to the community Spring 2022 requested thoughts and ideas for the use of this space. There were a variety of suggestions. Some felt that renting it out to a business would be best economically. This may be true, yet City Zoning will not allow for a business/commercial venture in this location. The space must be used for community purposes. Rather than custom making spaces for some requested specific new activities, the committee decided that the most useful and flexible strategy is to create a small and a large sized room in addition to the existing Great Room. These would accommodate different activities according to need, and also allow more activities to be booked into the building at the same time.
- In this proposed plan the Great Room stays very much the same. The only changes are in furnishings – we eliminate the TV console and move the two bookcases from either side of the console to the Foyer where books could be accessed without disturbing activities within a meeting space. We also move the two large lounge chairs into the Multi-Purpose Room where a new, larger flat screen TV will be wall mounted. This opens space in the Great Room for two new round tables each with four chairs matching the existing ones and more seating for our large events
- We initially discussed expanding the Great Room into the kitchen and beyond to add more seating for our community meetings. This would mess with the existing room’s great proportions, and create marginal additional seating in a low ceilinged space well away from the main speaker in an event. It was felt a better idea might be to follow the lead of churches and meeting halls today by putting AV equipment in the adjacent Multi-Purpose Room. It would be similar to our present day Zoom meetings where people would be in the same building to socialize before and after the meeting. This drawing shows 40 chairs in the Large Meeting Room. This room could also serve well as a Den for watching sports on TV, a yoga or small exercise group space, a craft room for quilters, or a classroom for any sort of learning activity.
- The Kitchen is expanded by adding the wet bar area from the Mission Bay Realty office by removing the wall that separates them, adding the cabinetry from our existing Great Room (perhaps removing the sink), and purchasing a new counter-depth larger refrigerator. This also gives easy access to the kitchen from our new Multi-Purpose and Meeting Rooms.
- Regarding Nori’s and Karen’s area, Nori believes that her office can stay as it is if she has easy access to the Meeting Room and the plan storage is moved out of her space. A flat file is located outside of her office to hold construction plans for houses that are in the process of design review for both Mission Bay and the Preserve. Karen has in the proposed space an office that is more than twice the size of the pigeonhole in which she has been working as well as a window in the door for some daylight. The waiting area is smaller than the one in the Reality office with smaller chairs.
- The Workout Room has been expanded by adding the space of the adjacent Event Storage closet. This adds 63 sq. ft. making this room 591 sq. ft. It should be enough space for an additional piece of exercise equipment and spreading out existing equipment as was requested in the survey.
- We have new storage for the added and various furniture needs, as well as replacing that lost from the existing Event Storage.
- Finishes would include fresh paint throughout, a continuation of the slate tile in all circulation areas, wood or cork flooring in the Multi-Purpose, and new carpet in the Small Meeting Room and in Nori’s and Karen’s office area and in the Workout Room.